Pages

Thursday, September 04, 2008

Does your cup "runneth over"?

"If we give the impression that the main effect of Christianity is to make us miserable, then it is not surprising that ninety per cent of the people are outside the Christian church. 'Miserable Christians,' they say, 'look at them!' And they add that they have life, they have joy, they have fullness. Shame on us Christian people! But it is not merely a question of saying shame on us. What a terrible responsibility is ours if we are so misrepresenting this 'glorious gospel of the blessed God' (1 Timothy 1:11). We are meant to be witnesses to all people that we are filled to overflowing. We are meant to show the truth of the psalmist's words: 'My cup runneth over!' (Psalm 23:5)."

I can think of no greater way I have continually shipwrecked my walk but when I've built facades to try and "represent" how great it is to be a believer. However, I know that the above quote by the good Dr. MLJ is true. In what is truly a paradox wrapped in a puzzle, hidden in a mystery, I will spend my life trying to mortify my flesh, while at the same time living and demonstrating the Joy of the Lord.

No comments: