Pages

Monday, February 25, 2008

The Visible Church in Worship

Over the past few weeks I have really enjoyed watching the people in our Church. No not it some creepy stalker way... but watching them worship. We have been at our church for a little over a year now and as I begin to learn people's stories especially one's of difficulty I look to see their response to God. Last Sunday in particular I was impacted as I looked around and saw people, that at least from the exterior, looked as if they were engaged in fervent worship to God. What was compelling was I began to notice was that some of those in worship were in the midst of terrible circumstances: Death of people very close to them, broken relationships, terminal illnesses, and many other difficult things.
What impacted me the most was that through all the things that Christians tend to point out that could be better about the church here at this holy moment was the visible church adoring the saviour for his gospel and the hope that they can have in spite of their circumstances.

Habakukk 3:17-19
Though the fig tree should not blossom,
nor fruit be on the vines,
the produce of the olive fail
and the fields yield no food,
the flock be cut off from the fold
and there be no herd in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the LORD;
I will take joy in the God of my salvation.
GOD, the Lord, is my strength;
he makes my feet like the deer’s;
he makes me tread on my high places.

No comments: