Pages

Monday, April 14, 2008

Cool post fit for a Monday moaning...

Since we've been talking about "religion" as opposed to how we should "live" in this world, I thought it amusing to link to a post that seems timely right now.

Somewhat in response to Jason's recent posting (and in addendum) Here are some thoughts. I don't know where all of us are on this journey called Christianity (or being a disciple, or seeker, or whatever you call it), but I have been struggling lately to come to grips with who I am, what I believe (and no longer believe), without my usual kneejerk reaction. (I used to be proud of that - in fact, I have even had several e-mail addresses with the name Kneejrk@***.com).

While I think it's healthy to question what we believe - and more importantly WHY we believe what we believe, we should avoid the usual "rebellious" attitude and tone that sometimes accomapanies these exercises. I speak from experience - I myself can be an arrogant jerk when I get around less "informed" and "enlightened" people who still blindly still believe such and such.

So what is the answer? I don't really know. I'm still unergoing this same process, and I think I'm better for it, but I'll admit, I'm still confused. What I'm left with is a bunch of questions and observations:

What is the difference between being "doctrinally orthodox" & simply being "Indoctrinated Orthodoxically" (Say that 10 times fast while chewing gum!)

How much damage have I inflicted in the past while Indoctrinating others Orthodoxically on stuff I no longer believe?!!!???? [Sincere and humble 'mea culpa' to Jason and the rest of you "Chosen" ones, wherever you may be. I did the best I could with what little I had at the time:) ]


I don't think my theology will ever "line up" with another group - if so, fine. The thing is, I'm o.k. with it, whereas a couple of years ago I would have lost sleep over it.

So what am I left with? I'm on a journey, so to speak....

Any other thoughts? Sound off.

2 comments:

Jason_73 said...

Hey Steve,

You know, if you don't have all your theology correct there is a chance you could be arrested.

Anyway, on a serious note, I read somewhere once that as people deconstruct their faith, begin to realize that there are things they have been indoctrinated with, embracing some disillusion, ect. there is an element of anger that goes along with that. I think that anger (which isn't such a bad thing ) can become sinful, and maybe evolve into rebellion.

On another true note, the life lessons I learned around my character in Christ and so forth are really highlights of my faith walk. I don't have any sense that you were trying to drive stuff down our throat, or scare us into faith at all. If anyone says so, I say phooey. I've said it before and I'll say it here, thanks for your example to me Steve...

Steve Oberg said...

Thanks. I wasn't looking for a compliment, but I appreciate you saying that.

As far as anger, I think I feel more righteous idignation and disgust over some things. On the other hand, there are a lot of things I still do "know" for sure. There are "essential" things I hold on to that no one can take from me. Are these vestiges of my past "idealism" or indoctrination? I don't think so.

Like you said, regarding your old dead friend, Idealism - I DO miss being so cock sure about everything. (Chalk that up to loss of youthfulness.)

Alas, the older we get, the more we realize we don't know.