Pages

Sunday, January 06, 2008

Meet your fellow Polycarpers! Introducing Steve Oberg.

I thought a great way to introduce everyone to each other on the blog would be an old fashioned interview.

First up is Steve. Get this, he was my youth pastor many years ago. I was blessed to reconnect with him sometime ago. I hope he knows how much God has used him in shaping me. He should also know that all those rides to youth and the free guitar lessons has produced one heck of a virtuoso with the acoustic guitar.

Anyway, now Steve lives with his wife Beth and four, count them four sons somewhere in Illinois. He drives a jeep and is still spreading the joy of music and show tunes to the world.

Now onto the interview. I met Steve at the local Denny's. We grabbed a few milkshakes and began, So Steve...

Just kidding I sent him a list of questions. He filled them out. Here they are. Take some time to read it, Steve has some great insight. He's a very smart guy. (He even went to seminary!) You should also check his blogs here and here...

Where did you grow up?
I was born at the hospital in Lancaster, CA. and then spent my first 7 years in Quartz Hill, then we moved to Lancaster. Basically, I always say that it is a great place to be “from.”

Do you miss it?
I miss the people. I don’t miss the traffic, the crime, the price of a house in California – all that stuff.

Who would you consider your best friend?
I know it sounds trite- but definitely my wife Beth. She has put up with me for more than half of our lives. I most enjoy spending time with her. What more can I say.

What is God teaching you right now?
To wait and trust Him. He is definitely telling me to slow down, not to try to fix things myself or make things happen. We are kind of in a holding pattern in certain areas of our lives right now. I’ve been learning that it is o.k. to say no to a lot of “good” things and just be obedient.

If you were on an island… What 5 CD’s would you want to have with you.

Syncronicity – the Police (a classic that still gets me goin), Passion One Day Live (It’s old – but hey), CA Worship Band Live (Some nostalgia – I used to go there), My own Best of the 80’s compilation (just because), and the Best of Louie Armstrong (He has influenced EVERYTHING we hear).

What 3 books?

My Bible, My Greek Text, & my Douglas Adams compilation.

What is a theological truth that you would die on the side of a hill for?
Jesus said the greatest commandment is to Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength and to Love your neighbor as yourself. Too many of us emphasize one over the other – we are great at loving God – our worship is fantastic, our preaching is solid and we feel great but we aren’t reaching our neighbors. On the other side of the coin we have churches full of folks who do nothing but serve others but really don’t have a walk with the Lord. They put others down for not doing enough about social issues. Jesus said both were equal. Love God and Love People - the Second command is like the first. I believe James has a lot to say about that too.

In his first letter to the Corinthian church Paul says "and now remain faith, hope and love and the greatest of these is Love." In the church lately, we’ve turned it around and now we say – “…the greatest of these is TRUTH.” I’m a bit guilty of that myself.

Read the rest of Steve's interview here... (There is even a surprise ending where I change one of his answers so it makes me look like the hero! )

No comments: